Solskjaer insists he didn't put himself before Rashford

0 Comment(s)Print E-mail China Daily, January 23, 2020
Adjust font size:
Manchester United's Marcus Rashford receives medical treatment after injuring his back against Wolves on Jan 15.

Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has strongly defended himself against claims he put himself first with his ill-fated decision to play Marcus Rashford against Wolves in the FA Cup.

The United and England striker could be out for three months after suffering a back injury in last week's third-round match, which United won 1-0.

Former England and Arsenal striker Ian Wright said this week that Solskjaer, under intense pressure to improve the club's fortunes, prioritized his own needs over those of his player.

But the Norwegian boss insisted that Rashford was fit enough to play in the 1-0 win for United, in which the 22-year-old substitute lasted just 16 minutes.

"I never put myself before the team," Solskjaer said on Tuesday. "I always put the team and the club before anything else.

"Marcus has had minor discomfort in his back since the Burnley game, two weeks before this game (Wolves). We've had scans, we've monitored him, there was no injury there, just complaints."

Solskjaer said he had spoken to Rashford in the build-up to the match.

"I had a conversation with him two days before and told him I was going to rest him," he said.

"He felt fine and was very adamant that, if needed, he could do at least half an hour as we wanted to go through in the cup. That shows you Marcus' attitude."

Former United striker Solskjaer said he did not regret throwing his star attacker into the fray.

"That is part of what you do for Man United," he said. "Every time you play, you put your body on the line. I've suffered some injuries for the club and that is what you are proud to do when you are a Man United player."

Solskjaer's biggest headache now is how to cope without his leading scorer as he battles to finish in the Premier League's top four.

United's attack looked weak without him in the 2-0 defeat against Liverpool on Sunday, when Anthony Martial, Dan James and 18-year-old substitute Mason Greenwood all struggled to trouble the league leader's defense at Anfield.

"Someone has got to step up," said Solskjaer. "If we find something in the transfer market, that might be one solution.

"But the best solution is the players stepping up and making sure they are ready and taking the chance."

United could be about to bolster their ranks in the January transfer window-but not with a striker.

British media reports claim the Red Devils have bid 30 million pounds ($39 million) for highly rated 16-year-old Birmingham City midfielder Jude Bellingham.

Follow China.org.cn on Twitter and Facebook to join the conversation.
ChinaNews App Download
Print E-mail Bookmark and Share

Go to Forum >>0 Comment(s)

No comments.

Add your comments...

  • User Name Required
  • Your Comment
  • Enter the words you see:   
    Racist, abusive and off-topic comments may be removed by the moderator.
Send your storiesGet more from China.org.cnMobileRSSNewsletter
捕鱼达人apk 陕西快乐10分中奖规则 红黑大战棋牌 新疆35选7中奖条件 浙江福彩七乐彩走势图 篮球比分牌 广西快3开奖走势图 865棋牌手游下载 百家乐真人游戏 广西快乐十分尾数 新疆十一选五选杀号